Friday, February 10, 2012

Gratitude

Subject: Carly Overton
Mood: Happy/Grateful
Days since last post: 21
Latest Conquest: Gratitude

This new semester at BYU has certainly been an interesting one for me. I've had lots of ups and downs. Definitely one big emotional roller coaster. And I'm not big on heights...okay..sorry...bad joke. :P

Throughout all of this, I have discovered a few keys to true happiness. This will probably be old news to all of you...and yeah, I'll admit I've been taught these keys many times myself. But to rediscover them in your own time and in your perspective is much more meaningful.

Key to Happiness #1 - Service: It is so easy to get caught up in yourself. Especially when you're a college student and you're trying so hard to make yourself the best you can in order to prepare yourself for the future. But in preparing myself for the future, I often have to remind myself that one of the most important things I can do to improve my chances of success is to make myself available to serve others AND to go FIND things to do and people to help. One of my favorite things about service is that it doesn't have to be big. It can be as small as a simple smile, a sincere compliment, or encouraging words when someone's had a rough week. Humans are pretty simple...we want to be loved, needed, appreciated, acknowledged....we want to belong. I've discovered that if I can help others have those feelings, then I can have those feelings for myself as well.

Key to Happiness #2 - Having a relationship with God: What could make you happier than knowing that God exists and that He loves you more than anything because you are His child? This knowledge has given me purpose and direction in life. Confusion, doubt, and fear somehow dissipate when I pray to God and read His words in the scriptures. I know that my ultimate goal is to return to my Father in Heaven. Because I know this, I don't have to be lost. Because Jesus Christ has provided the way for me to reach my ultimate goal, I can have faith and hope that through Him I can do anything. If that's not happiness, I don't know what is.

Key to Happiness #3 - Family: My family, in all it's various forms as parents, siblings, nieces, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, friends, and beyond is one of my greatest sources of joy. Nothing brightens my day like associating with someone from my family or friends. Each of them has such a unique and sweet spirit and personality that touches me and makes me smile like nothing else can. Then I stop and think about how they are also my spiritual brothers and sisters and how we can all be together in the next life...it's beautiful.

Key to Happiness #4 - Sharing the Gospel: Nothing brings happiness like sharing the plan of happiness itself with those who don't know of it yet. Helping someone learn about where they come from, who they are, and who they have the potential to become is simply amazing. To watch someone grow in the gospel and come to know of their Savior and how they can be forgiven is something I can hardly even describe. I'm just happy I've been blessed to have the gospel my whole life so that I can share it with others.

Well...that's a few of the keys to happiness. There's a lot more thankfully. And I am on the quest to find them all! I hope all of you can too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment